Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Let the remodeling begin!

It's hard for me to believe that we've already lived in our new house for 9 months. Time is flying by (how is it almost February already?!), and we haven't done nearly as much in this place as I'd assumed we would by this time.

We did remove a border, paint, and organize the kids' play area, and our kitchen walls now look like a patchwork quilt because we've tried at least 10 different paint colors in the kitchen in hopes of finally covering the bright green walls.  (I think I've finally stumbled upon the perfect color. More on that another day... just in case I change my mind.)

But other than those little changes we haven't gotten around to much else. In my defense, we do have three kiddos and another on his way so I did lose about 2 months to morning sickness, but I'm the kind of person who wants everything right now. For better or worse, waiting has never been my strong suit. I want this house to finally feel like us so we started a new project this past weekend: the office.

I spend a lot of time in the office between my personal organizing (and now etsy) creations, taking online courses here in and there in hopes of finally finishing this degree, and pinterest. However, I didn't want our office to just be a glorified computer room. I wanted to make a functional space where I can scrapbook and be crafty too. A little mom sanctuary. I'll share my inspiration board with you soon, but here are some before and during pictures until then.




See, obviously something had to be done about this place. The walls were a fine shade of green, but it wasn't the color I was looking for. As for the curtain, I've been dreaming of the day when we could take those down. Once again, they're fine but not for us (I feel guilty putting down the previous owner's decorating choices).

Grace was determined to help me paint. She did a very good job.



Here you can see the focal wall has been painted white, soon to be stenciled, and my desk before and after. I was toying with the idea of buying a new desk because I love white furniture and wanted a clean, crisp, coordinating look, but all of the features of this desk are perfect for us. It has storage for the computer tower, printer, supplies, and a pull out drawer for the keyboard. The only thing wrong with it was the color so we saved a ton of money and just decided to paint it.


I'm really happy with how it's turning out, but it still needs a coat or two of more paint. I'm also going to look into getting a piece of glass to put on top of the desk to protect it. I love it! Not bad for my first time painting furniture. :)






No comments:

Post a Comment